It’s been a whole year since excitement gripped the nation and we were eagerly anticipating the arrival of Prince George. Reporters, journalists and enthusiastic fans camped outside the hospital for days, news channels from all over the world waited for the announcement and at 4.24pm on 22nd July 2013 the wait was over as Prince George was welcomed to the world.
To celebrate we’ve had a look back at the past year to bring you some fun facts about Prince George’s first year as a Royal (and we can’t quite believe where the time has gone!).
1. He has already caused a Twitter frenzy – On the day he was born there were on average 25,000 tweets a minute about his birth.
2. Making his first appearance – Who could forget the moment when Kate and William walked down the front steps with baby George in their arms. This was followed by William taking the brave move of fitting the car seat with George in tow while the world watched – surely he must have practiced!?
3. He’s not a traditional baby – Despite tradition that newborn royals should spend their first days inside the palace walls, Prince George instead spent his first few days at the Middleton family home.
4. He has 7 Godparents - On Prince George’s christening day (23rd October 2013) the names of his seven Godparents were announced. They are: William van Cutsem, Julia Samuel, Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, Emilia Jardine-Paterson, Zara Tindall, Earl Grosvenor and Oliver Baker.
5. He has a super nanny – Not only is she great with children, his nanny Maria Teresa Turion Borallo is experienced in self defense and high-speed driving – wow.
6. He’s already a pro at international travel - We all know international travel is rarely stress free but in April 2014 Prince George embarked on his first royal tour to Australia and New Zealand and took it in his stride.
7. He’s received two marriage proposals – No we’re not kidding, while on tour in Australia two babies wore “marry me George” t-shirts. He is one popular baby!
8. He loves a soft toy – From wombats to bears, George has received a lot of soft toys in his short life! We just hope Kate and Will have a spare room to put them all in…
9. He boosts tourism – His visit to Australia and New Zealand boosted tourism in the countries by tens of millions of pounds.
10. Prince George is a cover star – We all know Prince George is becoming a bit of a baby fashion icon (I mean who couldn’t love all of his cute dungarees!?) but he’s hitting new heights as the cover star of this August’s edition of Vanity Fair.
Maybe you have a newborn on the way or you’re celebrating a little one’s birthday – why not check out our baby gift guide for great new pieces for tiny tots!